Conley lays down Olympic marker

In a one-horse race Allyssa Conley dipped below the Olympic qualifying time in the women’s 100m for the second time this season with a time of 11.31 seconds at the Sasol-NWU Prestige International meeting in Sasolburg yesterday.

Conley lays down Olympic marker

Stopping the clock 0.01 seconds below the qualifying mark, Conley is proving a model of consistency in her first year back after a three-year absence.

“I’m happy it is consistent, that is my main goal and aim, as an athlete that has always been a struggle for me to be consistent,” Conley said.

“So I am delighted that I finally reached that peak in my career where I can run consistently. I’m still working on my first 10 metres and that is where I lack a bit and I need to bring it down but I am happy.”

Cherese Jones followed behind her in second place with a 11.71 with Leungo Mathlaku of Botswana bagging the bronze medal in 11.72.

Conley first dipped below the qualifying mark a month ago at the first leg of the ASA Night Series in Pretoria where she posted a personal best time of 11.29.

She finished behind national record holder Carina Horn, who dipped below the qualifying time for the 10th time clocking 11.23.

What made last night’s performance more impressive is the fact that she ran a similar time without having to chase anyone.

“It means something to me, I am not focusing on the 100m per se, and I will be focusing solely on the 200m but it means I can go and fight for the title (South African) next week,” Conley said.

“In future I might considering both but with the caliber at the Olympics I feel I have a bigger chance of making it into a final in the 200m.”

Last month Conley also posted an Olympic qualifying time in her pet 200m event with a time of 23.09 where she also almost ran the race on her own.

Meanwhile, former men’s 100m record holder Henricho Bruintjies won his race with a season’s best time of 10.20 with emerging talent Clarence Munyai finishing behind him with personal best of 10.28.

“I wasn’t targeting a time, this was just for a title, I was hoping to qualify tonight, the conditions wasn’t conducive to run that kind of time but I am happy with my performance,” Bruintjies said.

The 18-year-old Munyai, who has already qualified for the Olympic Games in the 200m was delighted with his performance after he held a slight lead out of the blocks.

“When I saw I was in front I just wanted to keep on pushing but he (Bruintjies) was just too fast,” said Munyai, who shaved 0.08 seconds off his previous best.

“It is a good lesson, teaching

Rising 400m hurdles star Lindsay Hanekom came painstakingly close to posting an Olympic qualifying time winning his race of 49.66 seconds.

Hanekom has now dipped below 50 seconds on three occasions this year and is edging closer to the qualifying mark of 49.40. - Independent Media